Cinnamon Lentils with Garlic Pastaby laura
Yield: 4-6 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: About 1 hour
- 1 cup brown lentils
- ½ pound shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups water or light vegetable stock
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pick over the lentils to remove any stones or debris and then rinse thoroughly in several changes of water. Set aside.
- Trim and discard tough stem ends from the mushrooms, then quickly rinse the caps under cold water, being sure to remove all dirt that might be stuck deep in the caps. Set the mushrooms aside on a kitchen towel to dry briefly. If the caps are small, leave them whole. If they are large, slice them into ¼ inch thick strips.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat until hot, but not smoking. Add the onions and toss to coat with oil. Reduce heat slightly and continue to cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic to the onions and toss to coat with oil. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have begun to soften, about another 8 minutes. Add the lentils and toss then stir in the water or vegetable stock. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Skim and discard any foam that rises to the surface.
- Reduce to a simmer, stir in the raisins, cinnamon, oregano and black pepper. Continue to cook, partially covered and stirring frequently, until the lentils are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 35-40 minutes. Add the salt, taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve warm over rice or with oil tossed pasta along side.